Prince George's County Cultural Arts Study
On April 16, 2020, the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission released the Prince George’s Cultural Arts Study solicitation for consulting services to assist in the development of strategies and recommendations for integrating cultural arts into the County’s economic development and land use planning strategies. The closing date for this solicitation was on May 14, 2020. In late June, the Commission entered into contract with Lord Cultural Resources who over the next 12-18 months will work with the Prince George’s County Planning Department , the Prince George’s County Department of Parks and Recreation and the Prince George’s Arts and Humanities Council in the development of a countywide cultural arts study.
Project planning group is currently working with Lord Cultural Resources to develop the Project Workplan Schedule and the Community Engagement Strategy. Stay tune for more to come. We are looking forward to your involvement in the development of this Study.
The Prince George’s Cultural Arts Study is a collaboration with the Prince George’s County Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) and The Prince George’s Arts and Humanities Council. The purpose of this study once underway is to develop strategies and recommendations for integrating cultural arts activities into the County’s economic development and land use planning strategies. The study as envisioned by the Planning Department, the County and its partners is to build upon, strengthen, and invest in the people, places, communities, and ideas that define art and culture within Prince George’s County. In addition, it will look at the impact that cultural arts have on and will have on the economy of the County. Guidance in the development of this study can come from various significant planning and background work that exist within Plan 2035, Office of the County Executive, Prince George’s County Department of Parks and Recreation, and the Prince George’s Arts and Humanities Council.
It is anticipated that the Cultural Arts Study working in concert with Lord Cultural Resources shall take approximately 12-18 months to complete.
- To structure the key components of the study with a specific focus on utilizing cultural arts as an economic driver for the county.
- To explore how the art, culture, and entertainment can play a role in shaping the lives of Prince George’s County residents and the communities in which they live.
- Identify policy changes that need to occur to ensure that cultural arts are included across all sectors.
- To ensure Art and Culture is included throughout the County’s infrastructure as ways to advance cultural goals and creative placemaking.
- To increase opportunities for public art, community art projects, and infrastructure support for artists.
- Identify opportunities for diverse and intergenerational residents to take an active role in arts and culture programs and recreational activities.
- To utilize art as a game changer, urban revitalization strategy that will assist in changing the quality of life in our communities across the County.