Tucker Road Ice Rink Replacement
The Tucker Road Ice Rink (TRIR), an indoor rink in Ft. Washington owned and operated by The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission’s Department of Parks and Recreation, was previously closed due to a significant, 2-alarm fire that took place on Wednesday, January 4, 2017.
The new facility will consist of 48,860 square feet primarily intended for general indoor community, ice-skating recreation, figure skating, and ice hockey. The facility will have a National Hockey League-sized ice rink with seating bleachers for 300 to 350 spectators. The design includes a variety of other spaces such as a flexible classroom/party room, a vending café snack bar, a dance studio, a skate rental space, six locker rooms, two officials’ changing rooms, and a family restroom/changing area. The new rink will include a ceiling-mounted “dual-rotation training skate jump harness” for figure skating jump practice on the ice rink.
Further, the new replacement rink is designed with expansion capability for an approximately 31,110 gross square foot addition in the future that can include a second 26,220 net square feet sheet of ice, four locker rooms, a fitness room, and support spaces as desired when the expansion occurs.
Last Updated June 19th, 2020
Construction on the TRIR replacement project started with demolition in October 2019. Demolition was completed in November 2019. Forrester Construction, the Construction Manager at Risk for the project, continues to work on the following items:
- Concrete slabs poured in main entrance, lobby, and locker room areas
- Roofing installation ongoing
- HVAC system piping installation ongoing
- Underground electrical conduit installation nearly complete
- Metal framing in main entrance and lobby ongoing
- Installation of trusses and bracing in the locker room and the mechanical room is complete
- CMU wall construction in main entrance, lobby and locker room areas ongoing
- Sprinkler system installation in the ice rink area ongoing
- Installation of lighting rough-ins and speaker supports in the ice rink ongoing
A summary of completed and anticipated project milestones is as follows:
- August 2019 – Executed Guaranteed Maximum Price, Raze Permit obtained for demolition
- September 2019 – Onsite mobilization
- September 10, 2019 – Farewell, Tucker Road event
- Fall 2019 – Site Permits received, and Building Permit received, Demolition/ New Construction begins
- Late Fall 2020 – Completion of on-site construction activities
Actual dates for the completion of the milestones are subject to change.
The current projected schedule reflects the additional time that was required to complete the initial procurement process, and the time associated with securing supplemental funding during the FY19 budget process. The anticipated project completion is late Fall 2020.
Don Herring, Senior Planner