History

Historical Significance


The Newton White Mansion is an exceptional example of a country estate centered around a 20th century, Regency Revival-style mansion. The mansion was constructed in 1939 on land owned previously by the Waring family. Marsham Waring was one of Prince George's County's preeminent plantation owners who, during the second quarter of the 19th century, acquired large parcels of property in the north central part of the county. The Newton White Mansion was the home of prominent naval officer, Captain Newton H. White, Jr., first commanding officer of the USS Enterprise. The Captain succeeded in transforming a fallow parcel of land into a thriving dairy operation and estate.

History


In 1939, Captain and Mrs. Newton H. White purchased land in Prince George's County with the intention of creating a model dairy farm. The farm proved to be very lucrative and the couple commissioned architect WL. Bottomley to build a mansion on the property. During his distinguished naval career, Captain White served on the USS Yorktown and the USS Lexington. He named the two-story brick Neo-Georgian style home and the surrounding 586-acre tract Enterprise Estate, after the ship he commanded prior to World War II.